Week 2 Feb 6
How to Read What We’re Reading:
- “The Difficult Poem” by Charles Bernstein
- “We Aren’t Here to Learn What We Know We Already Know” http://avidly.lareviewofbooks.org/2016/09/13/we-arent-here-to-learn-what-we-know-we-already-know/
What Are Experimental Poetics?
- “The Rejection of Closure” by Lyn Hejinian https://www.poetryfoundation.org/resources/learning/essays/detail/69401
- “Expressive Language” by Amiri Baraka https://www.poetryfoundation.org/resources/learning/essays/detail/69473
- Introduction, Renegade Poetics by Evie Shockley
Optional: Critical Race Theory Intro
- “Critical Race Theory: An Introduction” by Richard Delgado (book available through library as ebook, on our course reserves: LINK)
- “Whiteness as Property” by Cheryl Harris
How might you define experimental poetics?